In June of this year, the United States Postal Service added a publication to their policies and procedures regarding the shipment of hemp derived CBD products. Are you looking to start or grow an ecommerce business selling CBD products? Here are a few key things to keep in mind as you determine your CBD product fulfillment.
Below is a summary of the 3 components that are required by the USPS in order to ship your CBD products using the Postal Service.
- CBD products must contain 0.3% or less THC in the formulation.
- The company sending the products must follow all applicable laws regarding the sourcing, manufacturing and distributing/sales of the CBD product(s).
- The company selling the products must maintain documentation showing compliance to said laws for no less than 2 years after the shipment date.
You can read more details in the publication here.
This biggest thing that lead to the USPS change is the “Farm Bill” of 2018 which legalized the industrial use of hemp plants. This took hemp off a controlled substance list and made it legal for companies to start producing and distributing CBD type products. States will be responsible for creating plans to handle this distribution, so if you have questions check your specific state laws that govern CBD/Hemp products. If you are really interested you can read through the bill on the United States Congress website.
FedEx currently has CBD listed under their “Prohibited Items” list so you may have to choose another private carrier to distribute your CBD products.
UPS is a little more friendly when it comes to shipping your CBD products. They will ship CBD products that meet the following criteria:
- Cannot be in plant form.
- Must be in compliance with all laws.
- Cannot be from a location that sells marijuana or marijuana products.
- They reserve the right to dispose of or discontinue service to those who are not following applicable laws.
If you want the detailed legal wording you can find this on UPS’s “Shipping Hemp Products” page.
Now that hemp products have become legal we have seen a huge increase in the production and sale of CBD products. CBD companies are growing at a rapid rate with new companies popping up what seems like daily. If you want to get ahead of the game you are going to want to find a way to have large amounts of inventory on hand and look at partnering with one of the premier fulfillment companies in Utah like Launch Fulfillment to help you distribute and deliver your products to your customers. We have some experience when it comes to shipping CBD products, so let us see what we can do to help you grow your business today!